Pages

23 November 2011

Autumn Shades

 This tiara is made out of pinecones. Spray painted dark bronze. Hand painted in orange/gold metallic paint. It is very lightweight, and pretty elegant.
This tiara I think looks best when worn, and it is quite fascinating that it's made from pinecones, as no one would ever guess!
 I made this tiara in 2005, and was very inspired by a photo I saw of a Spartan-style acrylic tiara in patinated gold. I made mine out of masking tape (it's sort of like Papier Mache!) completely coated in black paint, and I have decorated the front of it in real crushed, dried, autumn leaves. The color has stayed amazingly well on these leaves, as you can tell from the picture, and it's over 6 years old! This has always been one of my favorite tiaras, and I have yet to sell it on Etsy, but I think it's unconventional design scares off most people!
Another autumn colored tiara. This one is in the style of a type of tiara called an Aigrette. I sort of like to refer to this piece as my "butterfly antennae" tiara, because it could very easily be the antennae to a butterfly costume! This piece is completely composed out of copper wire, which I pounded flat (I made this tiara over 6 years ago, when I was still living with my parents. I ended up ruining a patch of concrete floor in our garage because I pounded the copper wire there!) by hand. This completely encircles the head, and is very Romanesque in design. I always imagined I was Cleopatra when I wore it!

No comments:

Post a Comment